Do you love being the first to know what’s happening in business — and to share the news with others?
Then you might be Albuquerque Business First’s next Assistant Managing Editor. If you are, you’ll join a feisty, award-winning staff that’s breaking news, experimenting with new media and going all out to cover Albuquerque’s struggle to reinvent its economy.
You’ll get up early. It’ll be worth it.
The Assistant Managing Editor owns the execution of Albuquerque Business First’s Morning Edition email, an indispensable roundup of the things local businesspeople need to know to start a successful day. This person will craft timely, compelling stories for Morning Edition that grab the reader’s attention and don’t let go, driving engagement, growing audience and building the Business Journal brand online. The AME will help the rest of our news staff do the same. The job requires rock-solid news judgment, killer headline writing skills and being on intimate terms with SEO and site metrics. This person must balance the highest standards for content with ambitious traffic and engagement objectives.
The AME owns the execution of special features and projects that drive traffic and audience growth and help ABF meet its goals in those areas.
The AME owns the execution of our social media efforts, overseeing and producing exciting and engaging posts on ABF’s main social media accounts. The Assistant Managing Editor will also consult with staff, and coach, on social media account use and how to make the most of it. This editor will track metrics and measure engagement to help us constantly improve on social media.
In addition to editing staff- and user-generated content, the Assistant Managing Editor will curate, report and write posts and produce interactive features, galleries and other multimedia. The end result should be a rich and vibrant digital experience that engages and excites the Business Journal audience and inspires robust community interaction.
REQUIRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
• 2-3 years editing experience in online news operation
• Strong headline writing and copy-editing skills
• Familiarity with AP Style
• SEO experience
• Video production experience a plus
• Html skills
• Excel and/or spreadsheet tools and management
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Produce newsy, engaging daily online content.
• Generate and execute digital content ideas daily.
• Track metrics and measure engagement with an eye toward constant improvement.
• Devise creative approach for social media strategies.
• Work with staff to plan new content and features.
• Help staff identify and deploy projects and tactics to meet traffic and engagement goals.
• Edit staff and user-generated content.
• Work collaboratively with peers in design, research and technology.
• Regularly participate in and attend Business Journal sponsored events.
• Take on any other assignment made by manager(s).
• Work cooperatively and collaboratively with all colleagues and professionally with sources.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
Reports to editor-in-chief and managing editor. General office environment. Extensive computer use required. Some travel required. Ability to work flexible work schedules, including early mornings, nights, weekends and holidays, as needed.
To apply, email resume, cover letter and three to five published clips to Editor-in-Chief Rachel Sams at firstname.lastname@example.org“>email@example.com. No phone calls please.
The Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, physical or mental impairment, or any other category protected under federal, state or local law.