The Taos News is a 10,000-circulation, family-owned weekly newspaper located in beautiful Taos, New Mexico. In 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014 and 2016, The Taos News was voted the best weekly newspaper in the United States by the National Newspaper Association.
This position requires a multi-tasker who can edit and design pages for a weekly newspaper and entertainment magazine, plus lead the pagination of up 20 special sections a year. The successful candidate must be attentive to detail, able to work well under deadline pressure, and be proficient in pagination software. Those applying for the position must have a working knowledge of grammar, spelling and Associated Press style.
A qualified candidate must have:
• A minimum of 3 years experience doing multi-page publication design and production along with newspaper design.
• Full understanding of prepress workflow management.
• To be proficient with Adobe CS 5 or higher and Macintosh OS. Experience with News Edit Pro 6 a plus.
• The ability to multitask in a fast paced, multi-deadline environment.
• At least two years experience working with InDesign.
• A working knowledge of grammar, spelling and Associated Press style.
• Must be willing to work night and weekend shifts.
• To work across departments with a variety of personalities
• The person must be accustomed to working in a newsroom, able to nimbly redesign pages on short notice due to breaking news.
• Have a proven eye for great design and be a stickler for detail.
• Layout and design of front page, sports, and lifestyles pages; working with reporters to create visual statistics and support graphics.
Benefits: Health, dental, vision and life insurance after three months; paid vacation; 401K; and subsidized spa membership.
Other amenities: Great work environment; outdoor recreation; a lively arts and entertainment scene; and a multi-cultural community.
Please submit resume and five examples (PDF) via email to Editor, Staci Matlock at: firstname.lastname@example.org
No phone calls or mailed submissions please.