The Las Vegas Optic, an award winning tri-weekly newspaper in Las Vegas, New Mexico, is seeking a reporter/paginator. The successful applicant will be a multi-talented writer, photographer and paginator, who is dedicated to excelling at local coverage, identifying and producing enterprise stories and contributing to special sections. This person must be organized, deadline-conscious and a stickler for accuracy and fairness. This position reports to the editor.
The Optic is published on Wednesday, Friday and Sunday and has a circulation of approximately 3,550. Las Vegas is about 60 miles northeast of Santa Fe and is at the base of the Sangre de Cristo Mountain range in the southern Rockies. The newspaper is owned and operated by Landmark Community Newspapers, LLC and can be found online at lasvegasoptic.com. The newspaper offers a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(k) and paid time-off benefits.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or equivalent experience
- Strong writing, editing, photography and pagination skills
- Proficiency in InDesign, Adobe Photoshop and Microsoft software required
- Already trained in using a digital camera
- Time management skills and ability to meet deadlines
- Must be an organized self-starter who can communicate well
- Understanding of journalistic ethics and legal/libel knowledge
- Professional experience, and/or mastery of AP style and grammar
- Be able to meet and communicate well with the public on newspaper and community issues
- Ability to quickly adapt to change
- Have an understanding of basic government procedures and structure
- Be able to work some nights and weekends
- Must have reliable transportation and a valid driver’s license
- Prefer San Miguel or Mora county resident; must reside in either county within 3 months of hire
- Cover assigned beats and produce accurate, timely news articles
- Develop leads and story ideas without much assistance
- Cover breaking news, public safety, education
- Develop and produce enterprise news and features
- Provide stories and photographs for each issue and special section
- Design pages using InDesign
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Apply by clicking here.