The Taos News is looking for a full-time photojournalist/multimedia producer for a 10,000-circulation, family-owned weekly newspaper located in beautiful Taos, New Mexico. In 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014 and 2016 The Taos News was voted the best weekly newspaper in the United States by the National Newspaper Association.
The ideal candidate is experienced in photojournalism and multimedia platforms, with a hunger to create visually compelling stories of all kinds and a passion for small-town community journalism.
This job is primarily in the newsroom but entails some work with special sections and advertising.
Required skills and education: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience. Minimum one year experience at a newspaper or with an online publication.
Necessary skills: Strong technical skills with digital media and equipment, superior news and ethical judgement. Ability to learn new skills and techniques as media develops. Excellent working knowledge of photojournalism and photographic equipment, including video, audio, software and other multimedia tools. Strong knowledge of Photo Shop, FTP services and video editing software. Ability to recognize the need for new skills and to learn them. Strong verbal and written skills. Ability to collect accurate information from news subjects. Proven ability to develop stories independently and work collaboratively with a team. Proven track record in meeting deadlines and managing multiple assignments well. Highly organized with photo archiving. Comfortable using social media and digital tools to create visual and audio stories. Excellent people skills and ability to adapt to a multicultural community.
The position is based in Taos but entails travel throughout Northern New Mexico.
- Photograph, videograph or otherwise digitally document newsworthy events, issues and situations for visual impact, timeliness, significance and context.
- Approach stories proactively with an eye for expanding the depth and nuance of a story both in text and visual media.
- Develop original story ideas
- Work on social media projects that leverage visual skills.
- Meet deadlines and communicate efficiently with team members throughout the newsroom and in advertising.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the editor.
- Assignments on a weekly basis will include news photos, wild art, entertainment photos, photo essays, special section photos, advertising photos.
- Organize and archive photos and videos in digital archive system
- The schedule includes weekends and travel. Must have a reliable vehicle.
Disclaimer: : Although The Taos News has attempted to accurately and thoroughly describe this position, The Taos News reserves the right to change the same, including to change, add to or subtract from the duties outlined, within the sole discretion of The Taos News, at any time, with or without advance notice.
The job will start March 23 to permit time for training with the current photographer.
Salary: $30,000 a year
Benefits: Health, dental, vision and life insurance after three months; paid vacation; 401K; and subsidized spa membership. Other amenities: Great work environment; outdoor recreation; a lively arts and entertainment scene; and a diverse community.
Please submit resume and ten photo/photo series examples (JPEG) plus two videos via email to Editor, Staci Matlock at: email@example.com.
No phone calls or mailed submissions please.