The Taos News is a 10,000-circulation, family-owned weekly newspaper located in beautiful Taos, New Mexico. In 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014 and 2016, The Taos News was voted the best weekly newspaper in the United States by the National Newspaper Association.
This full-time position requires a stickler for detail, someone who has nightmares if a name is spelled incorrectly or numbers don’t add up. Those applying for the position must possess excellent knowledge of grammar, syntax, spelling, punctuation and Associated Press style. The successful candidate must be able to work well under deadline pressure. Ability to speak, read and edit Spanish a plus.
Edits and proofreads copy for weekly newspaper, Tempo arts section, special sections and breaking news stories for web with extreme proficiency, accuracy, and consistency
Enters data in weekly calendar and compile community announcements for print and website
Compile weekly Creative Edge visual arts briefs for Tempo arts magazine.
Be a team player with a willingness to help with any project
Answers to the managing editor
A qualified candidate must have:
• A minimum of 3 years experience copy editing newspapers or magazines.
• Full understanding of prepress workflow management.
• Experience with News Edit Pro 6 a plus.
• The ability to multitask in a fast paced, multi-deadline environment.
• Be willing to work night and weekend shifts.
• To work across departments with a variety of personalities
• Be accustomed to working in a newsroom, able to nimbly edit copy on short notice and available to edit breaking news
• An excellent grasp of English grammar, syntax, and punctuation; well-versed in AP Style
• Excellent communication, organizational and time management skills
• Spanish editing skills a plus
Benefits: Health, dental, vision and life insurance after three months; paid vacation; 401K; and subsidized spa membership.
Other amenities: Great work environment; outdoor recreation; a lively arts and entertainment scene; and a multi-cultural community.
Please submit resume and five examples (PDF) via email to Editor, Staci Matlock at: firstname.lastname@example.org
No phone calls or mailed submissions please.