Your SPJ chapter has made funds available to help members attend seven upcoming conferences. They are:
- IRE/NICAR Computer-Assisted Reporting conference, March 7-10 in Newport Beach, Calif.
- Poynter’s Covering the 2020 Census, March 17-19 in St. Petersburg, Fla.
- IRE/NICAR CAR boot camp, March 25-29 in Columbia, Mo.
- Poynter’s Essential Skills for Rising Newsroom Leaders, April 7-12 in St. Petersburg, Fla.
- International Symposium in Online Journalism, April 12-13 in Austin
- Poynter’s Summit for Reporters and Editors in Multiplatform Newsrooms, April 28-May 30 in St. Petersburg, Fla.
- IRE/NICAR Investigative Reporters and Editors conference, June 13-16 in Houston
This is free money — a lot of it — to help defray registration and travel costs for our members, and we encourage everyone to apply. Deadlines for some of them are fast approaching, so move quickly.
Applicants must be SPJ Rio Grande members. Not a member? See this page for why you should join, and how to do it.
To apply, write a brief (fewer than 600 words) narrative, including:
- Who you are and where you work (or where your work is published) and how attending the training/conference will improve your journalism
- How you’ll give back to your community of journalists and in New Mexico or West Texas and share what you’ve learned
- Your SPJ member number
Please also provide a letter of support from your editor, news director or equivalent. If you’re a freelancer, provide a letter of support from a professional reference who knows you well.
Be sure to check the website (linked above) for the conference you’re interested in, as some might have additional application requirements. SPJ Rio Grande has no control over that — we’re merely offering funds to help our members attend them.